Thursday 3 April 2014

Laurel and Bee box

I absolutely love French provincial design. One thing that always catches my eye is the white washed pottery, gold leaf and the laurel and bee emblem that appears on many pieces.

This project I have put together incorporates all of these elements, using things most crafters would already own like paints, dies, a box and some thin foam.




Step 1
Paint a box using brown acrylic paint. I like to use a sponge to apply it because it goes on thin and dries quickly.


Step 2
I used my Grand Calibur to cut my S2-041 Laurel and Bee from thin foam. I found the foam in the craft section of my local $2 store, and the colour doesn't matter at all as it will be covered.


Step 3
Glue the foam shapes to the box. Ensure it's glued down well so that it doesn't lift when painted.


Step 4
Paint over the foam shape, getting into all the nooks and crannies (another reason I love to apply paint with a sponge!).

 Step 4
Once it has dried thoroughly, give the whole thing a white wash with either white acrylic paint or gesso for a chalky finish. This coat is best left thin and imperfect, with some of the brown showing through.

Step 5
Once the white has dried, it's time for the gilding. I have used Treasure Gold for this, and left it patchy on purpose as it's supposed to look old and well loved.


VoilĂ ! A genuine imitation French piece to treasure!

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you find this tutorial useful!


4 comments:

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me some love!